Skip to main content
Collection, Preservation and Display of Old Lawn Mowers

atco 1459/60

Enter a word or two to search the forum section and click the Search Forum button.

Hi guys,

Thanks for letting me join this forum, I purchased from eBay this wonderful Atco 1459/60 that uses a villiers mk7 engine. Unfortunately I have encountered some problems. The first issue was that the rubber coupling for the clutch broke whilst cutting the grass, which resulted in the clutch plates shattering. When repairing this, I decided to remove the engine, whilst it was out I thought it would be a good idea to strip it down as i knew it had an oil leak from around the sump gasket. When the sump and cylinder head were off I removed the piston and con rod, to my horror I found that the conrod and end cap were very heavily scored. The crank journal was also looking in a sorry state.

I would appreciate any advice as to what would be the best move from here, i.e try and source new parts (Would it be hard to find these?), I don't want to end up spending a small fortune. Please let me know if it would be more efficient to scrap this engine and purchase a new one.

Thank you for any help, ideas or information.

Dan

Forums