Skip to main content
Collection, Preservation and Display of Old Lawn Mowers

Valve Cover: ATCO HD2065 - Villiers 599D 32495

Enter a word or two to search the forum section and click the Search Forum button.

Hello All

A new member here to The Old Lawnmower Club, seeking assistance from the wealth of knowledge of existing members with regards to all legendary mowers.

I recently acquired an ATCO HD2065 with a Villiers engine, (serial number 599D 32495) in very good condition.

I've always admired Atco mowers (and similar) as I watched my late Grandfather, who was then retired, buy old ones from the scrap yard before renovating them, selling them and passing the proceeds to charity.  35 years later and I felt it was now time for me to have a go for myself.

Having freed up one of the sticking valves and replaced the old coil, condenser and points with new, replacement parts and with a slight tweak to the clutch, I finally managed to get the old girl fired up at the weekend.  What a machine; what a noise!

The only problem I have is that the engine is missing its valve cover (and fixing brackets) and as a consequence, oil is spraying out all over the place (but mainly my legs).

My question is, is it possible to obtain a valve cover for this particular model from any known channels, or will I have to have one fabricated?

I have searched the internet, but I cannot seem to find anything that looks like it will fit.  The badly cut, aluminum cover that came with the mower was a bit Heath Robinson to say the least, and simply doesn't do the job.

Any responses greatly appreciated.

Best wishes

Carouser

Forums

wristpin Mon, 04/07/2016

Possibly your first port of call should be Paul at Meetens.co.uk

A couple of images would assist with DIY suggestions.

Carouser Tue, 05/07/2016

Many thanks Wristpin, appreciate the response and suggestion.

I dropped a note to George at Villiers Parts yesterday evening, describing the missing cover and it turns out the official name for it is a 'Valve Chest'.

Apparently there are four parts that form the Valve Chest and I confirmed I needed them all.  Just waiting for a response to advise whether George can provide them.  If not, I'll try Paul at Meetens before embarking down the fabrication route.

I can't see it being too difficult to make, but in the absence of seeing the genuine part, I'm not certain whether the Valve Chest would feature a breather?  Although judging by the amount of oil pouring out of the engine block with the Valve Chest missing, particularly at higher RPM, I would have thought that a breather would only serve to continue to allow this to happen.

Thanks again

Carouser

wristpin Tue, 05/07/2016

Wrong! I think that you have misunderstood what ever you have been told.

On a side valve engine the valve chest is the " box" incorporated in the engine block where the valve stems, springs and cam followers come together. The cover is just that, giving access for valve adjustment etc. The cover may or may not incorporate a "breather" . On a lot of Villiers engines the cover is just a plain piece of steel, the breather being fitted elsewhere on the engine block or to one side of the chest.

There is usually a drain hole in the base of the valve chest to allow oil to drain back into the block. The purpose of the breather is to allow crankcase air displaced by the downward stroke of the piston to exit the cylinder block and then to shut during the upward stroke creating a small amount of negative pressure  which assists in keeping the engine oil tight.

If you will post a couple of images of what you have it will enable those of us who give their time and expertise in answering questions to identify what you have and give a more meaningful answers sooner.

Carouser Tue, 05/07/2016

My apologies.  What you have said makes perfect sense and in line with my original thinking and yes, there is a drain hole at the front in the base of the chest.

Photos attached herewith.

Carouser

wristpin Tue, 05/07/2016

Right, we're back in business . This is the engine that I believe you have, commonly referred to as the Villiers Lightweight

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v2kmc8pbqbotpeb/Villiers%20Lightweight%20hori…

No breather in the chest cover but part 49 is a baffle to direct the oil mist back into the crankcase via the hole in the base of the chest and away from the breather 44,45 which is a little one way ball valve situated on the right hand wall of the chest.

Back to the cover. Hopefully George or Paul (other suppliers may be available!) can come up with what you need, particularly the spring wire clip that holds the cover in place which is possibly the most tricky to replicate as a diy part. A cover of sorts, the gasket and the baffle should be reasonably easy to make.

I cant find a decent image of the breather on a Lightweight but this one on a totally different engine model will give an idea of what's involved.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/af9tkhkkotc0xgo/Villiers%20breather%20valve00…

Carouser Tue, 05/07/2016

That's brilliant, many thanks Wristpin.  Yes, the Villiers Lightweight is exactly the engine I appear to have and the component parts listed 49, 50, 51 & 52 are the items I need.

I've advised George who has responded stating that he can provide the parts (or some that will fit) which is good news, but I agree, aside from the spring clip, the other items should be easy to fabricate if necessary.

I should also advise that I have dropped Paul a line at Meetens as well in case they happen to have geniune parts.

Appreciate the information with regards to the breather too.

Thank you for all of your help.

Best wishes

Carouser

Carouser Sat, 09/07/2016

Wristpin

George is sending all of the bits and pieces I need so hopefully I'll have the mower sorted for next weekend.  Can't wait.

I didn't receive a response from Paul at Meetens.

One final question if I may?  How would I be able to determine the displacement of the Villiers Lightweight engine I have in my machine?

I note from the schematic diagram you kindly shared with me, Villiers produced both 125cc and 150cc engines of this type.

Best wishes

Carouser

wristpin Sun, 10/07/2016

I  note from the schematic diagram you kindly shared with me, Villiers produced both 125cc and 150cc engines of this type.

I presume that the 599 number that you quoted at the start of this thread means something to someone with a better knowledge of Villiers model numbers - maybe George?. None of the manuals that I have show that number. All I can tell you is that the 125cc has a bore and stroke of 58 x 47mm and the 150cc, 63 x 47mm