Skip to main content
Collection, Preservation and Display of Old Lawn Mowers

Atco 24" m/c no 2380

Enter a word or two to search the forum section and click the Search Forum button.

The drive to one half of the split rear roller on the subject m/c has failed - something to do with the axle / spindle running thro' it, I am told by the dealer.

I presume the mower is 30-40 yrs old and is otherwise a great mower, so any advice I can get on how to restore it back to good order will be very gratefully received.

Villiers Chillcott

villiers@interlow.co.uk

Forums

wristpin Mon, 11/08/2014

Each roller section is driven independently from the "axle" via ratchet wheels keyed to the shaft at the outer ends that are engaged by spring loaded pawns fixed to the roller. The most likely cause of your problem is that either the pawls have seized on their pivots and are not springing back to engage the ratchet wheel or that the  "hairpin" springs have broken. Hopefully it's just dried out grease causing the pawns to stick.

Which ever it is it will be necessary to drop the back roller out of the chassis, quarter of an hours work for an experienced mechanic in a decently equipped workshop. It's then just a matter of removing the ratchet covers and investigating. The springs are still available as they are used in the current version of the machine made and marketed by Allett . Part number F016L17549, unless they've changed it!

While  the roller is out I would take both sections off the shaft, clean the shaft and oil the oilite bushes in the roller sections. This will guard against seizure in the future which can turn into a more time consuming problem that the one that you have at present. 

Reassemble the rollers and ratchets with plenty of general purpose grease around them to keep them free for another  ....... years!

Apologies  for the tiny image, haven't mastered images from iPad . Will post better one from PC later.

Better!

villiersc Thu, 14/08/2014

Hi there

Thank you so much for your comprehensive advice on restoring the drive to my mower - both the explanatory notes and the the exploded view are awesome and I am really very grateful, thank you.

We live just outside Shrewsbury: if are ever over this way then please drop in - I'll show you the mower, the Atco 28" (even older) and a not-so-old Ransomes 24" - all great mowers and I can't decide which to off-load. The bigger Atco is my favourite with its Villiers engine which runs so sweetly!

If you do drop by, please drop me an email - villiers@interflow.co.uk

Warmest regards

Villiers Chillcott

hillsider Fri, 15/08/2014

Good to hear that you have resolved your drive problem with 'wristpins' help.

You may have done it already but have explored the many corners of this site, there are some Atco manuals posted in the Technical section that may match your machine, plus other areas that could be of interest.

We try to help where we can.