I have just inherited a JP Simplees that was my Father-in-Laws pride and joy from new. I have decided to sympathetically restore it so that it works as intended and will survive for the next generation. Some questions that you may be able to assist with:
1) I dont know the exact age but assume it was early 60's? However it has a B&S, engine model 60102 (not Villiers) which I think implies a later product. But the colour seems to be BS381 C223 which on the website is suggested to be an earlier colour than the lighter C222? I plan to repaint where appropriate using C223 as it should match. Should I use 2 pack paints for reasons of durability? Is there a preferred make?
2) Should I grit or bead blast badly corroded parts such as cylinder blades and grass deflector or use chemical rust remover? I don't want to end up making them too weak as I realise replacement is difficult.
3) I have tried to photograph transfers where they exist in part, can replacements be obtained.
4) Cylinder bearing removal seems a challenge, the drive end came away easily after I had figured out the left hand threaded flange! but the other end is tight. Is the answer just careful persistence?
5) is there a source for obtaining 2 phenolic balls?
6) I assume the mower is entirely BSF and the engine will be UNC or UNF? Which is a pain as I have transitioned to metric over the last 40 years!
7) Are there any really difficult issues ahead that I am not aware of. I have only started on the cylinder cassette as it seemed the most corroded.
Any assistance will be gratefully received.