Skip to main content
Collection, Preservation and Display of Old Lawn Mowers

Atco 14" 1956

Enter a word or two to search the forum section and click the Search Forum button.

I have just embarked on restoring my Grandmother's kick-start Atco. The front "roller" is in fact two little wooden wheels at the outer edges of the mower. Both are badly worn. Does anyone know where I can find replacements, or at least what the diameter is supposed to be, so I can make some more.

Nick 

Forums

wristpin Mon, 16/05/2016

One of the hazards of an ungoverned engine - and a worn one at that!

The simplest explanation is that the throttle is shutting itself through lack of friction in the lever but otherwise richening the mixture a tad may help.

However its possibly just the nature of the beast!

gtc Mon, 16/05/2016

If I open it a bit more then I end up chasing it up the lawn.

As a kid, I always thought being dragged along at high speed behind an Atco was one of the charms of using one. However, it should idle okay if it's in good tune and condition. Air leaking in through the cases can be a problem.

NickBleaney Wed, 18/05/2016

Well, it helps keep you fit. How does one adjust the mixture on the carburettor? I don't think mine has an adjustment screw on it.

wristpin Wed, 18/05/2016

With no image I'll take a flyer that the throttle slide will have a tapered needle going down into a jet and that there will be a means of raising the needle relative to the slide so that for any slide position more fuel can enter the Venturi.