Skip to main content
Collection, Preservation and Display of Old Lawn Mowers

Ransomes Mower No 6239

Enter a word or two to search the forum section and click the Search Forum button.

Hello All,

a total newby here from down under, I hope that I have posted in the correct area please advise if I haven't, I wont bore you with my history as there is possibly some other area of the forum for that so will ask my question.

I have a Ransomes Sims and Jeffries mower which has a cast iron open type frame and is fitted with I believe a Villiers engine, there is a plate attached to the side of the frame and stamped with the number 6239, the engine flywheel which is brass has the number 27599 stamped on the spoke face.

I am looking for information on date of manufacture, if the mower has a model name, any photos would be of help as my machine does not have a carby or fuel tank, alternatively someone may be able to advise which carby should be fitted and if there are any available. I will attempt to post some photos which should help.

Thank you for accepting my membership application and I hope that I may be of use at times.

Regards Geoff.

Forums

hdtrust Tue, 07/04/2020

Hi Geoff

You are lucky I saw your email,we own the dating records for Ransomes.

Ok you need to measure the length of the cutting cylinder,it should be either 18 inches or 20 inches,as its the only part I cannot tell you.

Your number 6239, The date of manufacture was June 1924 which makes it a series 11,The engine you have there is a 247 cc Villiers and yes we have spares for them to include a full carb, which is a senspray.

Please email me direct at archivist@hdtrust.co.uk

Kind regards

Andrew