Skip to main content
Collection, Preservation and Display of Old Lawn Mowers

Webb 14in AB1474 dies when opening throttle

Enter a word or two to search the forum section and click the Search Forum button.

I have an Webb AB 1474 that idles OK but as soon as I open the throttle the engine dies. Also even when warm it requires the choke to be closed to get it to start

I have cleaned the carb. (the single jet I can find is clear), replaced any gaskets, cleaned the air filter, and have new fuel, 

What do I need to do next?

Forums

wristpin Sat, 15/08/2020

“Cleaned the carb”

Have you had it off the fuel tank and checked the filter on the pickup pipe?

djg745 Sat, 15/08/2020

Thank you Wristpin.

Ahh, there was no filter on the pick up pipe! I've only recently got the machine. I will need to get a filter and then clean it all out again.

Jon Cruse for the filter?

wristpin Sat, 15/08/2020

May be Jon but its a standard BS part. If you post the Model Type and code numbers stamped into the engine cowling I will try to give you the part number.

Geoff Beechey Sat, 15/08/2020

A carburettor rebuild kit may be helpful the diaphragm and flap valves sometimes get less flexible in these carbys, I read somewhere that B & S recommend they be replaced every 12 months or so not that I agree with that as I have some that are years old and still run quite well.

Geoff.

wristpin Sun, 16/08/2020

A carburettor rebuild kit may be helpful the diaphragm and flap valves sometimes get less flexible in these carbys, I read somewhere that B & S recommend they be replaced every 12 months or so not that I agree with that as I have some that are years old and still run quite well.

Cant be sure until we get the numbers* but I don’t think that particular  carb has a diaphragm.

Edit    * or an image of both sides of the carb