Skip to main content
Collection, Preservation and Display of Old Lawn Mowers

Old Flymo Ventura Turbo 420XL Power Drive Electostart

Enter a word or two to search the forum section and click the Search Forum button.

Hello Everyone,

This is my first contact with The "Old Lawnmower Club", I wonder if anyone can help me, I have a 15 year old Flymo VenturaTurbo 420 XL Powerdrive with electric start. I have serviced the mower and engine and the machine as a whole is working extremely well but the battery has given up and replacements are no longer available. I have recently had shoulder surgery and now realise how difficult this is to start this mower using the recoil starter. Can anyone advise me on getting an alternative battery for this machine it is simply too good to get rid of. The battery is a 12V 13Ah Ni Cad and is 220mm x 67mm x 30mm with 10 cells. I have been trying to purchase some Ni Cad cells to make up my own  battery butI I am told that due to new legislation Ni Cad cannot be sold for domestic use. I can probably accomodate a battery of different shape and size so long as its not too different. The charger is 14.5V 140Ma. Has anyone previously solved this problem or  got any good ideas ?

I look forward to hearing from anyone.

Regards

Griff

PS I live in the west midlands

Forums

hillsider Fri, 01/07/2011

Hello and welcome to the Old Lawnmower Club. Re a replacement battery pack for your Flymo you could try contacting a company called Cellpack Solutions. I found their site some while ago but have no direct experience of their service. I have just checked the current website and they seem to  offer a good chance of finding a solution to your problem although be prepared that the solution may not be very cheap.

http://www.cellpacksolutions.co.uk/battery-refurbishment/battery-refurbishment.asp

Good luck with this project, if you are successful please let us know.

Ray.

topgunhorse Fri, 01/07/2011

I could be wrong , but are nickel metal hydride batteries (NiMh) the new alternative rechargeable ones. Have a look on ebay. (i have no idea why my typing's gone blue!)

Regards Andy

Griff Mon, 04/07/2011

Hi Andy,

Thanks for that. I think you may be right in saying that NiMh replaces NiCd but i am awaiting confirmation from a battery manufactuer that my charger etc will still work with NiMh without doing any damage. I will let you know.

Thanks again

Griff

Griff Mon, 04/07/2011

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the info, i will give them a try and let you know how it goes.

Al

topgunhorse Mon, 04/07/2011

I have just googled this, http://www.greenbatteries.com/bachfa.html#charger differences It is no help whatso ever! lol. Part of it says it's ok, part of it says it isn't. So if I was you I'd go to a local Maplins, they're usually pretty helpful. Try the VHGMC (vintage horticultual and garden machinary) website, there are some very switched on chaps on there who would give good advice. (all due respects to my fellow club members) regards Andy

12oclockshadow Thu, 07/07/2011

Hi Griff,

By coincidence I have just met the same problem, and still haven't found the perfect solution. If you find a source of these batteries please let me know, and if I manage to source one I shall let you know where.  Good Luck !

Griff Thu, 01/09/2011

Hi Ray,

Sorry for the delay in responding, lots happening.

Cellpack came back to me  with a very realistic price of £30-00  plus £4-00 delivery, which i thought was reasonable. I have however decided to hang on 'till next season to get this new battery. No point in it hanging arround in the shed over winter. These people look well worth supporting.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards

Griff

Griff Thu, 01/09/2011

Hi Ray,

I have replied to you but think clicked the wrong button.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you,lots happening.

Cellpack came back to me with a realistic price of £30-00 + £4 P&P which i thought was very reasonable.I have however decided to hang on 'till nex season, no point in a new battery hanging around in the shed over winter. These people look worth supporting.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards

Griff

hillsider Thu, 01/09/2011

Hello Griff,

Good to hear that you have had a positive response to your enquiry, I understand your thinking re waiting until next season but my instinct would be to ask the question of Cellpack re the storage of the battery without it deteriorating. Then to consider ordering while the product is available for the price quoted. But at the end of the day the choice is yours not mine

Good luck and keep us posted re the end result.

Ray.

Griff Thu, 15/03/2012

Hi Guys, Just got my battery back from Cellpack Solutions in Tyne & Wear. The total price was £39-60 inc vat an postage. They have supplied me with a slightly more powerful battery at 1.8Ah in place of the original 1.3 Ah. I posted this to them on Monday and I received the rebuilt battery today ( Thursday), that's what I call brilliant service. Very helpful people and a pleasure to do business with them, my contact was Steve Winder, email:- Steve@cellpacksolutions.com

First class, highly recommended. 

Many thanks to Ray and everyone on The Old Lawnmower Club who helped me to solve the problem.

Regards Al

Griff Thu, 15/03/2012

Hi 12oclocshadow,

Just got my battery back from Cellpack Solutions in Tyne & Wear. The total price was £39-60 inc vat an postage. They have supplied me with a slightly more powerful battery at 1.8Ah in place of the original 1.3 Ah. I posted this to them on Monday and I received the rebuilt battery today ( Thursday), that's what I call brilliant service. Very helpful people and a pleasure to do business with them, my contact was Steve Winder, email:- Steve@cellpacksolutions.com

First class, highly recommended.

Regardsl

Griff

hillsider Thu, 15/03/2012

Hello Griff,

Thanks for the update it is good to hear that your battery problem has been resolved and that you now can use your mower again.

Pleased to have helped and glad to hear that Cell Pack Solutions were helpful. 

Regards

Ray.