Skip to main content
Collection, Preservation and Display of Old Lawn Mowers

Webb Model AB1474

Enter a word or two to search the forum section and click the Search Forum button.

Hi everyone!

I've just purchased a Webb mower from eBay and would like to know if there is a manual available as I'd like to get it set up correctly.

The tension on the clutch doesn't seem right, it seems to grab a little while idling, I'd also like to know how to remove the cylinder to take it to be sharpened, then obviously set the cylinder and bottom blade up again.

Any help gratefully received :)

Forums

wristpin Sun, 27/05/2012

I have a parts list and may have an operators manual - I'll have a dig round in the files.

Two tips regarding this model. The bearing carriers for the cutting cylinder are pivoted on the side plates with a large shoulder bolt and nyloc nut. When reassembling do the nuts up tight and them back off so that you can just turn the nut/bolt assembly with light force. This way when you adjust the cylinder to the bottom blade you don't get wind up fighting the adjuster. This was the subject of a service bulletin in the early days of the model as people were complaining that they were having difficulty in setting the cylinder to the bottom blade.

Also concerning the quality of cut - The blades and the lip of the cylinder and bottom blade are both quite wide and go out of set (off cut) quite quickly..If you are having the cylinder re-ground ask whoever does it to relief grind the blades or if spin grinding is done get them to "take the back off" the lip of the bottom blade so as to present a thinner edge to the cylinder. Relief grinding is preferable.  The front edge of the bottom blade should be ground at aprox  95 degrees to the top surface.

wristpin Mon, 28/05/2012

I've found an owner's manual. If you pm me with your email address I will scan it into Dropbox and give you a link to access it..

Rails Tue, 17/07/2012

Hi I thought I would bump this thread rather than starting a new one. Is the Webb AB1473 similar mechanically to the AB1474? I have an AB1473 & could do with a parts schematic for it as I am having trouble working out how to reassemble the the drive belt tensioner.

Thanks.

wristpin Mon, 30/07/2012

The 1474 was a chain driven machine whereas the 1473 used one vee belt and one flat cogged belt .I can probably find you an "exploded" parts illustration and list  but I'm not sure about a schematic showing the parts as assembled.  - will have a dig in the archives and see what can be found.