Skip to main content
Collection, Preservation and Display of Old Lawn Mowers

Annual Rally 2023

Enter a word or two to search the forum section and click the Search Forum button.

Hello All

You will be aware from the clubs newsletter & details published on the website of this years themes, I am co-ordinating a display for 1973 having already approached a few members who have machines that would have been in use during that year when the museum opened.

It should prove to be a colourful display with I know a bright blue Qualcast Concorde, yellow Suffolk Galaxy hopefully coming.

Below I will list a few of the mowers that were around at that time & would encourage you to bring them along, if possible let me know what you plan to bring. email clive@museumofgardening.co.uk 

Obviously there are other themes & we always look for a large & varied display of mowers from all era's.

Around/selling in 1973

Suffolk Super Punch & Colt, Corporation mk2

Qualcast Jetstream Rotary, Superlite Panther, B1 & Q7 sidewheels, Rota Mini, Concorde Electric, Astronaut

Atco's 20in HD, 18in Powered Rotary (Red/White) 18 &21in Rotary (Green/White), 14,17& 20in De-Luxe, Battery Electric 12,14 &17,

Webb Whippet, Wasp & Witch, 14,18 & 24 Motor Mowers, Battery & Mains,

Ransomes Ajax Mk5 (whilst production ceased by 1972 many were still being sold off in 1973, incl a wholesaler with 48 @ £9 each, list price £17). An interesting fact Ransomes grass machinery sales exceeded agricultural sales for the first time in 1973!

Flymo  Lawn Lady 33, Electric 38, Domestic 38 & 47, Electric 47, Super Professional, Contractor.

Ginge Prisma & Comet

Black & Decker  Lawndrette & Lawnrazor 

Probably many more, remember they do not need to be spot on 1973, but perhaps late 1960's/early 1970's, so in regular use in 1973. Please add to the list if you know of or have others.

If you are not sure of your mowers age, best to post some images and other members can give their opinion.

A few images for a taster.

Thanks