Skip to main content
Collection, Preservation and Display of Old Lawn Mowers

ATCO 1264 - Repairable??

Enter a word or two to search the forum section and click the Search Forum button.

Hi folks. Managed to damage my ATCO 1264 mower this afternoon. Gutted as I really enjoy this mower. What might be the best way to make a repair please. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

Cheers. Rob

wristpin Sat, 16/10/2021

Oh B*****r . Either search for a scrapper / donor or consult a proper welder with a view to tig welding.

Clive1997 Sat, 16/10/2021

Hi Rob

That's a shame, possibly strong glue? or a donor machine, I did acquire one for the Atco Centenary display so could possibly let it go.

RansomesRob Sat, 16/10/2021

Hi Angus. Thanks for your thoughts on a solution. I will see who does TIG welding locally and hopefully they can repair it, if not, hopefully I can source another machine. Thanks again. Rob

RansomesRob Sat, 16/10/2021

Hi Clive. Thanks for your reply, Angus thinks a TIG weld might offer a solution so am going to look into that next week. However,  I would be interested in knowing how much you would like for your 1264 if you are happy to part with it please?, perhaps drop me an e mail, text or Whats App when it is convenient. Thanks again for your reply. Cheers. Rob

RansomesRob Tue, 19/10/2021

Belt and Braces job on my ATCO....A local welder is going to have a go at repairing it and I have taken up Clive on his offer of another machine, well, you can't ever have enough old lawn mowers!!

RansomesRob Thu, 17/03/2022

Hi folks. Got my ATCO 1264 back today from having a repair. Thought you might like to see the results? Cheers. Rob

ATCO Weld

ATCO Weld

wristpin Thu, 17/03/2022

Interesting welding technique but it did look a bit touch and go right from the way go, Neat job though.

DJD Sat, 19/03/2022

That looks more like rivets than welding, but if it works and you're happy with it, that's what really matters.

Welding would have destroyed the paint around join and made a bit of a mess of things, only your own opinion really matters here.

Welding would have taken a lot more time in preparation and cleaning off paint etc. plus anchoring and veeing out of remaining metal of broken pieces etc, worker probably erred on the side of not ruining your machine all together.

RansomesRob Sun, 20/03/2022

Hi DJD.  Correct on all 3 counts. I really did'nt think I would be able to get a repair done so took up Clive's kind offer of another machine just in case. Chuffed to get the mower repaired and of course to get another was a bonus. Perhaps make one good one out of the two but to be honest, they both function as intended so will probably leave well alone. I do particularly like the 1264 as it has a great cutting height range. Cheers. Rob 

ATCO 1264 x 2

Mowing Wurzel Sun, 20/03/2022

A very Well done to you Rob on the Mower frame repair, indeed you now have too lovely ATCO's, the donor machine certainly far too good to break up.

RansomesRob Sun, 20/03/2022

Hi Paul. Thanks for your kind words on the ATCO repair.  I cannot take any credit apart from finding the local welder who was able to effect a repair. I shall leave the two ATCO's just as they are as they both operate nicely, and as you rightly say, be a shame to break one of them up, plus.......you can never have enough mowers!! Hopefully see you at MK in May. Cheers. Rob