Skip to main content
Collection, Preservation and Display of Old Lawn Mowers

Atco 1760/61

Enter a word or two to search the forum section and click the Search Forum button.

The state of the classic lawnmower market is such that every so often well-meaning friends drop off un-loved machines in the belief that this is a suitable home for it. One such recent arrival is this Atco 1760/61. A genuine barn find from a nearby farm as opposed to the more usual offering from a self-appointment expert on a familiar internet auction site.

I have done very little with it other than to clean off the worst of the dust and cobwebs in order to identify it. It has a dual drive system whereby the rear roller can be dis-engaged to allow easier manoeuvring in tight spaces. One slightly odd thing is the somewhat crude cut out in the chain case to accommodate this. It appears original (?) and clearly wouldn't fit otherwise. Is this perhaps a mid-production modification to compete with Qualcast ?

Anyway the point is that it is beyond my sphere of interest and consequently free to a good home, if anyone is interested. Further information and photo's can be provided, just contact me. It seems complete other than a corner of the clutch rod stay on the top cross bar. I've not tried to start it but everything turns as it should, including the kick start. With a little work it looks as though it should be a usable machine once again Currently there is no grassbox but one might turn up.

Located in north east Suffolk, just south of Bungay, a relatively short drive from the beaches and Broads. Lovely.