Skip to main content
Collection, Preservation and Display of Old Lawn Mowers

JP Minor Mk2 - 1951?

Enter a word or two to search the forum section and click the Search Forum button.

JP Minor Mk2JP Minor Mk2I picked up this reasonable JP Minor Mk2 yesterday from Kents Bank. I've been hoping to find a JP mower locally for a while to compare with my other old mowers and see why they are considered the Rolls Royce of hand mowers. Curiously the date stamp on this is clearly XM YK 111. If I have read the dating guide correctly I date this as November 1951 machine 111. Is this correct, the mower timeline has this machine released from 1953. 

Clive1997 Mon, 03/04/2023

Hello, tend to agree with your findings, we need to alert our JP expert Henry, suggest you send him a message, I am sure he will advise.

henry.ellis@oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk

Hedley Wed, 05/04/2023

In reply to your advice Clive, I mailed Henry with the details of my mower and he agreed. The Minor Mk2 was launched in 1950 so a slight error on the website. He's been in touch with Keith I believe to update the website. Thanks for your help with this.

olcadmin Wed, 05/04/2023

Done.

Hedley Sun, 09/04/2023

To add to my earlier posts, I've managed to get hold of another JP Minor locally. The machine is generally OK and still has the all important bakelite knob and lever and grassbox. I've been looking for a JP for a couple of years then 2 turn up in a week.

Hedley Fri, 14/04/2023

I've another query for the Minor Mk2. Both of the mowers I've recently acquired don't have the stop tab on the lever tube. Was this only included on the later machines? Mine are early-ish MK2's. One being from November 1951 the other May 1952. I notice there is no mention of a cutter stop on the older operator instructions but there is on the later copy. They could always have just been lost by previous owners when fettling around.