Before I begin I should mention that i am not very mechanically minded and i have never done anything like this before however, i find the idea of restoring this old mower quite exciting. Photo of the mower below.
I am going to undertake a full restoration of my Atco 14" 1948. I want to dismantle the mower, prep and spray paint and if possible undertake or provide some service to the engine so it will run as best it can and be something i enjoy using.
Please can i ask the forum for some advice on what to buy and where to get it from. I have made a list below of things i think i need so if people from their experience can add this that would be great:
1. Green Atco paint - what shade of green should i use for the original colour, does any know or can advise on any particular paint type please? (any tips on spraying would be helpful too)
2. Red paint for the clutch - again as above
3. Outside of engine - this looks unpainted with a thin layer of rust over it and the cooling fins. i appreciate this gets quite hot so paint may come off here. is there anything i can do to protect this?
4. Metal handles - apart from removing paint from a previous touch up i would like to bring them back to their original shiny metal finish, do i need to treat these with anything?
5. Chains - These look a little complicated... I want take them off to spray the chassis, clean and refit.
6. Engine - When i dismantle the mower i think this would be a good opportunity to provide some TLC to the engine - does anyone have any advise or a guide please?
7. Front rollers - shouldn't i have a wooden roller across the front? any idea where i can get one from as i cant find any on ebay etc..