I started this new thread as the information would have got lost in my 'dating a Suffolk engine' post.
Being faced with an open circuit early fabric wrapped ignition coil I searched in vain for a secondhand working replacement and I didn't want to purchase another engine for spares.
I obtained locally a later Wipac coil/lamination assy for £20 with a view to making it work.
I dismantled my original lamination assembly by removing the rivet heads and punching them through, the later stator pack is a fair bit slimmer than the earlier type and I found 12 sections would fill the coil aperture but was too wide.
I cleaned the surfaces of the laminations and lacquered one side to insulate them from each other once dried sufficiently they were riveted together to make the stator pack, the centre was machined down to a width to slide into the new Wipac coil. A new spring steel retainer was made from an old recoil spring.
Sufficient to say I know it was a fair amount of work but I am glad to report that my new assembly gives a nice spark!